Somehow my Chrome browser on Windows 7 is hijacked by ChromoSearch.com, a site I’ve never visited before. I tried to reset the homepage in Chrome settings but when I start up the browser again, the site still loads automatically. I was not on any suspicious site and I just downloaded and installed a video player several days ago. Any ideas as to how to remove this would be much appreciated! I did scan the computer with Norton Internet security software but with no luck. I also searched the web but didn’t find helpful info on this. How can I get rid of ChromoSearch.com?
What is ChromoSearch.com?
ChromoSearch.com is a classified as a browser hijacker or potentially unwanted program. It usually gets installed on the PC silently and changes the browser settings, such as the default homepage and the default search engine, without permission. You may notice that many legitimate programs also make changes on the browser settings when you install them. They can be easily reversed by resetting the settings. However, it’s difficult for you to remove some browser hijackers from the PC. Sometimes they don’t let you remove it at all.
Similar to under-cover.info, search-startpage.com and Searchespro.com, the browser hijacker may modify Windows shortcuts on the desktop and append the argument http://chromosearch.com to them. If your browser shortcuts are affected, the unwanted site will load without consent every time you start the browser.
Screenshot of the browser hijacker:
Please note that any of the following behaviors may occur when your browser is hijacked:
- Your default homepage, search engine or new tab is altered without your permission
- Some unknown toolbars or extensions appear on your browsers
- Your search is getting redirected to different websites
- Many advertisements are displayed in the search results
- Web pages load slowly and the browser behaves weirdly
If the symptoms show up when you use the web browser, it’s possible that the browser has been hijacked. For the sake of your computer, you need to remove the threat from PC as soon as possible. Can’t delete ChromoSearch.com by changing the browser settings? Please use a professional malware removal tool to get rid of it.
Why need to remove ChromoSearch.com?
Usually, browser hijackers like ChromoSearch.com are used to generate revenue for the developers. They keep redirect you to particular web sites when you start the affected web browsers. Developers of browser hijackers often display advertising for their customers, who pay for that service because of the traffic it generates. A lot of advertisements are displayed in the search results when you do a search by using the search services provided by the PUPs. The ads are related to what you search for and appear in front of the information you need, which really interfere with your browsing experience.
Moreover, some third-party content promoted or displayed by ChromoSearch may redirect you to harmful websites which may download and install malware on your PC. Some may mislead you into installing unwanted programs or purchase unnecessary services. Please be cautious when viewing web pages and don’t click on suspicious links or pop-up ads.
In addition, your browser may run slowly due to the browser hijacker. Some unwanted toolbars or add-ons may be installed on the browsers without your knowledge and make changes on your search settings.
How does ChromoSearch.com get into your PC?
Usually, ChromoSearch.com can be installed as part of freeware installation. If you read the user agreement carefully when installing a program which includes this unwanted item in its EULA documents, you can choose to decline the installation. But obviously, unwanted additional items won’t be described as potentially unwanted programs.
Browser hijackers can be bundled with other free programs downloaded from the Internet. If you pay attention to the installation process, you may find certain checkboxes of additional items which can be cancelled show up. The problem is that users typically ignore these items and install software in a hurry.
In addition to that, an infected email, a file share, or a drive-by download can also spread the browser hijacker.
Tips to prevent PUPs like ChromoSearch.com:
- Always choose the Custom Install option when installing a program. This allows you to cancel the installation of additional items that you don’t want at all.
- Read the EULAs of the software when installing it. If any harmful content are found in the user agreements, decline the installation.
- Be cautious when downloading freeware from the Internet. Avoid downloading and installing program by clicking on download button on pop-ups in random web pages. Please go to official site to get the desired software.
- Don’t click on the links or attachments in emails sent by strangers. They may contain malware that change the browser settings or even damage your system and steal your information.
- Keep an advanced anti-malware program on the PC to safeguard computer against various cyber infections.
ChromoSearch.com browser hijacker removal guide
Follow the 6 steps as mentioned below and you’ll be able to completely get rid of the browser hijacker from the PC.
Step1: Uninstall unwanted programs from Control Panel
Open the Start menu by pressing the Windows key or clicking on the Start button at the lower left corner of the screen.
Click Settings -> Click System on the Settings menu-> Select Apps & features from the left pane.
A list of all installed apps will be displayed in the right pane. Select any strange or unfamiliar program and click the Uninstall button. Then click the Uninstall pop-up button to confirm.
Press Windows + X to open the quick access menu and then click on Programs and Features.
All the currently installed programs will appear in the window. Scroll down and search for the programs that may cause the ChromoSearch.com browser hijacking issue, select them and click on Uninstall button.
Click on Start button and select Control Panel.
Click on Programs and Features or Uninstall a program.
In the list of currently installed programs, select any program that was installed without your knowledge and remove them by clicking on Uninstall or Remove.
Click on Start button and select Control Panel.
Double click on Add/Remove Programs.
When all the installed programs are displayed, find and remove the unwanted programs that may come along with the browser hijacker.
If suspicious programs are found but can’t be removed from the Control Panel, you may consider using a professional malware removal tool to wipe out them forcibly. The PUPs which were installed without permission may cause the browser hijacking issues and other problems on your PC. Download and install a specialized tool to uninstall them immediately.
Step2: Disable or remove suspicious add-ons/extensions
- Open IE, click on Tools or the IE menu button (gear button), and then select Manage Add-ons.
- In the Manage add-ons window, click on Toolbars and Extensions under Add-on Types on the left panel and then click the “Show” box and ensure it is set to “All add-ons.”. All your installed toolbars and add-ons in IE will be showed on the right panel.
- If you see any add-on or toolbar strange to you shows up there, select it and click on the Remove button.
- Open Chrome, click on the Chrome menu button at the top right corner of the browser window and select More Tools -> Extensions.
- In the chrome://extensions/ page, search for any extension associated with ChromoSearch.com or installed without permission and remove it by clicking on the chrome-trashcan-icon next to it.
- Open Firefox, click on Tools on the menu bar and select Add-ons. (Note: If the menu bar doesn’t appear, right click on the top bar of the browser window and select Open menu bar.)
Alternatively, click on the Mozilla Firefox menu button at the top right corner of the browser window and then select Add-ons.
- In the Add-ons Manager page, click on Extensions on the left side. Find any unwanted add-on and click on Remove button next to it to uninstall the add-on. (The image below is just an example)
Step3: Set the home page and change the search engine
- Click on the Tools or the IE menu button (gear button) and choose Internet Options.
- Under the General tab, check the Home page field. If ChromoSearch.com appears there, please delete it and then enter the address of the website that you’d like to set as the default homepage. Click OK to save the changes.
- Click on Tools or the IE menu button (gear button) and select Manage add-ons.
- Click on Search Providers under Add-on Types. Choose a search engine you want such as Google available in the list and click Set as default to set it as the default search provider. If any unwanted search engine is listed there, select it and click Remove button and then click Close.
- Click on Chrome menu button at the top right corner of the browser window and select Settings.
- Under On startup, select Open a specific page or set of pages and click the Set pages. If ChromoSearch.com is found, delete it and then enter the URL of your preferred page in the blank field and click on OK to save the changes.
- Under Appearance, check the Open Homepage button. Click on the Change link. If any unwanted URL is displayed there, please delete it by clicking on the “X” button. Then type the address of the website you’d like in the editable field and click on OK button.
- Under Search, click on the arrow button and select the search engine that you want. It will become you default search engine.
- To delete the unwanted search engine, click on Manage search engines… link. Delete the search engine you want to remove by clicking on the “X” icon. Click on OK button to save the changes.
- Click on Tools or the Firefox menu button at the top right corner of the browser window and select Options.
- Click on General. Under Startup, make sure When Firefox starts: is set to Show my home page. Delete ChromoSearch.com from the Home Page field if you see it there. Then enter the address of your preferred website to make it the default homepage.
- Click on Search on the left side of the page. Under Default Search Engines, click on the arrow icon and select the one you’d like to set as the default search engine.
- Under One-click search engines, select the unwanted search engine you and click on Remove button to delete it. Close the page and the changes will be saved.
Alternative method: Reset the browser settings to defaults
- Click on Tools or the Tools button (gear button) and select Internet Options.
- Under the Advanced tab, then click on Reset….
- Check the box of Delete personal settings and then click on Reset button. This will reset all the personal settings mentioned in the window.
- You must restart the computer for these changes to take effect.
- Click on Chrome menu button in the upper right corner of the browser window and select Settings.
- Type reset in the search box of and click on Reset browser settings in the results.
- Click on Reset button to restore the Chrome’s settings to the original.
- Click on Help on the menu bar and select Troubleshoot Information.
Alternatively, click on the Firefox menu button at the upper right corner of the browser window, click on the question mark button to open the Help menu and then select Troubleshoot Information.
- Click on the Refresh Firefox.
- Click on Refresh button to confirm the change.
Step4: Check the Target line of the browser shortcuts
In case the browser shortcuts are affected by the PUP, you need to take a look at the browser shortcut and see if any harmful item was added in the Target line.
- Right click on the IE/Chrome/Firefox shortcut on your desktop or task bar and select Properties.
- Under Shortcut, check the Target: field. If you see ChromoSearch.com shows up in the line, delete it and click OK to save your changes.
Step5: Run SpyHunter to remove the leftovers of ChromoSearch.com
Note: Many people find the browser hijacker keeps coming back even if they have followed the steps above to deal with the threat. In this case, some files and registry entries of the PUP may still exist on your system and you need to find and remove them completely. However, it is risky to manually delete registry entries if you are not a computer expert. Any wrong deletion of valid registry key could result in terrible consequences to the system. To avoid this, we strongly suggest you use a professional malware removal tool to fix the problem automatically.
SpyHunter is an advanced anti-malware program that is able to find and remove ChromoSearch.com thoroughly. In addition to browser hijackers, this tool can detect and clear other cyber threats like Trojans, adware, spyware, ransomware and so on. If your browser settings or other system settings are tampered with by PUPs secretly, the tool can inform you of the changes promptly. With SpyHunter, you can protect the PC effectively and delete pups ChromoSearch.com successfully within seconds.
- Download SpyHunter to your computer.
- SpyHunter starts to perform a quick system scan for malware. Make sure SpyHunter has been updated to the latest version before scanning before scanning. To start a new scan, click on Scan Computer Now button. The scanning may take a few minutes to finish.
- Once done, all the threats on your PC will be showed in the scan results. You can see ChromoSearch.com and other threats and more details about them in the scan results. To clear them thoroughly from the computer, click on the Fix Threats button.
Note: SpyHunter provides free malware detection. You need to purchase its full version to completely clear the threats found.
Some browser hijackers can be removed from the computer easily. But some are stubborn and require specialized tools. If you fail to remove ChromoSearch.com manually by uninstalling relevant programs and toolbars and resetting browser settings, we advise you to download and install a ChromoSearch.com removal tool to scan the PC and remove the PUP quickly and completely.